Monday, March 3, 2008

Landon's adenoids and the Jackson's shower

So as some of you know, we have thought that Landon has not been up to par the last two months. We have been especially concerned with his hearing, or lack there of, the last few weeks. So his pediatrician recommended that we take him to an ENT (Ear Nose and Throat doc) and so we did. And boy are we glad we did. We found out today through some hearing tests that he is REALLY struggling with his hearing due to a large amount of fluid in both of his ears. After we described his symptoms of restless sleep, snoring, drueling, constant mouth breathing, and hearing loss he decided to send a little video camera/probe down his nose to take a look. Landon hated it, but we got to see the real problem....his HUGE adenoids! They are totally blocking his passage way and he can barely breath through his nose, poor guy. It is such a relief to have an answer to so many questions. We are scheduling his surgery asap and he will have his adenoids removed and have tubes put in to drain the fluid and relieve his ears. Then we hope to have a perky little Landon who hears every little whisper back in action!

Have you ever been unable to pop your ears? Well imagine that feeling in both ears all the time times 50. That is how Landon feels, not to mention he can't breath through his nose. And he is still the most pleasant child I know, course I may be a little bias:) It just breaks my heart to think that I have gotten mad at him for not following directions or obeying me when maybe he never even heard me. AND how blessed are we to live in a day and age where we have the knowledge and technology to not only diagnose things like this, but actually fix them! What did kids just a century ago do....they just learned to deal with it and eventually feel behind in school and ended up being in their own little world b/c they got sick of reading lips. We are just really blessed.

Okay, I'm done ranting and raving. I'll let you all know when his surgery is so you can say a little prayer for him. In the picture below, that is what a normal adenoid looks like. Landon's is occupying like 90% of that passage way like the picture below.
We hosted a shower this weekend for our good friends Chris and April Jackson and soon to arrive Avery Kate. I think it turned out beautifully. We had an amazing spread, if I could eat appetizers for every meal I think I would!






4 comments:

Tiffany said...

All of the food looks SO good! I want some right now, I'm so hungry! That diaper cake is AMAZING! So glad you figured that out about Landon, hopefully he will feel better very soon!

Lindsey Eason said...

Wow - what a gorgeous shower - that cake is beautiful and the shrimp platter is too!! You will be amazed at the changes you'll see in Landon after he gets tubes...Shepherd's speech and hearing improved immediately after he had tubes put in!! I'm sure the adenoids coming out will also be a tremendous relief for the little guy!

Lane said...

WOW! You are so creative! That cake is gorgeous and everything just looks like it was fit for a princess. Good job Laura!
I hope Landon feels better asap after his surgery, which I'm sure he will. It's amazing what a difference the tubes can make. We'll remember you all in our prayers. Keep us updated!

Varner said...

Wow! That food looks amazing. What a gorgeous shower. Poor Landon and poor mommy and daddy! I hope he feels better soon. Keep us all posted.